Hey! So I just joined the Top 5 Wednesday group on Goodreads (here is the link) because it seemed like fun and I really liked this weeks topic – character names.
So, in no particular order, here are my Top 5 Favourite Character Names:
- Nymphadora Tonks. There are so many great names from the Harry Potter series, but Tonks’ is my personal favourite. Doesn’t hurt that she’s a great character as well.
- Door from Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Yes, you read that correctly, Door. This book is filled with great names, as are all of the Neil Gaiman books I’ve read. But Door. It’s just so not-name-like that I love it. Other notable mentions from this book include: the Marquis de Carabas, Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar, and the Angel Islington.
- Seraphina Dombegh from Rachel Hartman’s Seraphina. This book was a brilliant take on medieval fantasy with dragons! Dragons everywhere! I just love how musical the name Seraphina is and the shortened nickname Phina is just adorable.
- Bathsheba Everdeen from Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. A weird one, I’ll admit. I don’t particularly think that Bathsheba is a nice name (no offence any Bathsheba’s out there), but it’s certainly …something? To be honest, it strikes me as slightly comical and that made taking this character seriously somewhat difficult. On the other hand, it was super memorable.
- And lastly, Lyra Belaqua from Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials Triology. Similar reasons to Seraphina with this one – there’s just a musicality to the pronunciation of it that I adore.
Any other suggestions? I’d love to hear them.